Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Internship Intensity

I got several requests to update everyone on my two internships here in Prague, so here we go!

Last week, I attended the large conference based in Prague called the Forum 2000. This annual event, organized by the former and first president of Czechoslovakia following the end of communism, Vaclav Havel, seeks to increase the discussion of human rights issues here and around the world. My program at Charles University makes it very easy for students to attend the event by excusing them from classes. Some professors, like my Politics and Anthropology teachers, even required students to attend the Forum 2000 and submit brief summaries and reaction papers.


As part of my internship with Forum 2000, I had to attend two panels (one each day of the conference) and report on the events and speeches. Along with a partner American student, I had to submit a short panel summary within 30 minutes of the program ending for immediate release. Within two hours of the end of a panel, we then had to submit a longer report on the discussion. Following is a link of one of panel reports:

Click here for the report!

This panel on Poverty and Social Exclusion: Challenges for Developed and Developing Countries was really interesting and very much in line with my International Development Certificate area of studies. The former president of Nigeria and the current Secretary General of Amnesty International spoke at this particular panel.

My second internship is at EIN News, where I work twice a week as a news editing and social media intern. The office is located in downtown Prague and is about 15 minutes from home or school. EIN News is part of the Internet Product Development Group, based in Washington, DC, and Prague. They are a private enterprise that creates news sources and feeds for companies and governments, in order to filter some of the web traffic and news articles.


For the beginning of my work, I did a report and analysis on EIN News use of social media in formats such as Twitter and Facebook. I also did a research project on the best sources of news online in the food safety industry. My work has now transitioned to press release writing, specifically focusing on U.S. political news. I write 5-6 press releases per day in order to generate more readership on the EIN News website. Some of my release are getting 200+ reads, with the top ones performing at 400+.

Click here for the my highest ranking release.

Click here for a sample of some Louisiana news in my release.


It's really cool to see some of my work and writing out on the internet in a more professional format. As is obvious from my blog, column in the Georgetown newspaper, and my two internships in Prague, I am exploring the world of writing and journalism. You never know where life will take you professionally or academically, so I am testing as many waters as I can now. Grad school, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment