Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The City of Lights

July 4th in France was an interesting experience. It was my first time out of the country for the celebration, but we did it in style. After American lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe - Paris (thank you Mom & Dad for footing the bill!), we gathered at a friends apartment to spend time together as a group. It was amazing to get to know my Georgetown - Paris friends more outside the confines of class, and what better day to do so than Independence Day.

I promise in my two days off from the blog that I have been very busy. Aside from working on two presentations, I had a politics quiz. Finally got a good grade on something in Paris. Wait, it's only the second assignment we've received back with a grade on it, oops. Anyways, my practice presentation of my final exposé went well considering, and I will be sure to practice it a lot more before my turn arrives on Friday afternoon. Tomorrow is my very last class (language in the morning) before we head to our last cultural visit at the Musée d'Orsay in the afternoon. It's hard to believe that my program will be over for real in less than just a week, but there is still a long way to go with the concluding tests.


For the past two days, some friends from Georgetown were in Paris after completing their intensive German language summer program in Trier on the German-French border. It was nice to have some fellow Hoyas in town to show around Paris without the stress of our French program. Last night, we explored the Bastille neighborhood. Tonight, we saw Sacre Coeur, watching the Netherlands-Uruguay game at a local bar with a great late happy hour (GO PAYS-BAS), and climbed the Eiffel Tower at night. There really is no experience quite like taking that elevator ride up at night to see the city. The best part is when the Tower sparkles for 5 minutes every hour on the hour at night.



Things are finally starting to reach their end in Paris for my program and time here, and it will be strange to leave. I feel like I have become a resident of this beautiful place, but I am also ready for a new adventure. Less than a week until my best friend from too long to remember from New Orleans arrives, and I cannot wait to travel Europe without classes/work hanging over my head. Wish my luck in my presentations!

No comments:

Post a Comment