Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Czech-ing In

3 days down, 7 to go. I've started the first week of my czech language intensive course. To say the least, the czech language is very difficult. It has some similarities in structure to Latin (which I took in high school), and it can be compared to Polish. We spend 5 hours each day over three sessions in small classes of about 15 student, and we learn the basic structure and vocabulary. Luckily, the teachers do not expect very much from the students because the language is very difficult for foreigners, and much of the lessons center around practical and everyday situations in the Czech Republic. That being said, we have our first quiz tomorrow! Yikes, back to school reality.


Pictured above is the CIEE Study Center of Charles University, where I take all my classes and the program offices are located. Other than czech class, I have not had too much free time to myself. When we are free from the program, I spend my time meeting new people and eating/drinking out in the city with my program friends. Sleep is still hard to come by, but you only get to live in Prague once. Prague is not a very expensive city and the exchange rate of the Czech koruna is favorable at this time. Money still flies away, though. I finally have my classes arranged for the semester, just 4 hours Monday/Wednesday afternoons and 3 hours Tuesday/Thursday mornings. Hello, 4-day weekends! I'm taking the following classes: (1) Anthropology of Czech Society and Culture, (2) Czech and Central European History, (3) Art and Architecture of Prague: A Model of European City Development, (4) The Politics and Economics of the European Union, and (5) Beginning Czech Language, I Section 6.


Today, the program organized a guided walking tour of Prague Castle and the historic area surrounding it. While there is no giant castile in the complex, there is, rather, a complex of beautiful and historic buildings within the walls. Also, St. Vitor Cathedral is the stand-out sight, pictured above. Prague is definitely one of the most picturesque cities in Europe, with a quaint and friendly atmosphere and little remaining of the communist legacy in plain sight.


In other news, I received word today that I will be interning this semester with the IPD Group and EIN News. The company is headquartered in Prague and Washington, DC (how lucky), and it mostly works in the journalism, technology, and marketing sectors. I am not sure exactly what I will be doing yet with IPD, but I'm sure it will be a nice way to make use of my time outside of classes and traveling.


According to friends back at school, Georgetown is as busy as ever even though it's a little weird with so many students abroad during junior year. Yesterday, I even had a Skype meeting with my co-leaders for my Alternative Spring Break trip to New Orleans in the spring. It's amazing that technology can connect people across the world with just the click of a button. Well, I'm off to study for my czech quiz tomorrow. I'll be sure to czech-in soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment