Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Orientation Overload

Ciao from my new apartment in Prague! I am sorry that my posts have been lacking, but the program has kept us insanely busy during our first 3 days in our new city. On Monday, we arrived at the airport where we were taken to a hotel for the night before we all moved across the city to our new accommodations. Some students are living in university dorms, others in home-stays with Czech families, and many (like me) are living in apartments scattered throughout the city. I am living in the Vinohrady section of the city, so named for its more location as a vineyard, which is east of the city center and our school. There are about 4 other apartment groups in the area, so we are not completely on our own. My apartment is really nice and spacious, with the design of a early 20th century apartment building. I am rooming with a Czech student, who speaks perfect English and is really helpful, and there is also another guy from Georgetown living in the other bedroom.

Yesterday was our first full day of activities. We moved into our apartments, got situated, and learned how to get to/from the study center for classes via public transportation. Today, we have 4 long orientation meetings with information sessions about the city and program, followed by a several hour walking-tour of the city. And we have to do the exact same thing tomorrow and Friday. They really give us little time to breathe. Plus, most students are exploring the nightlife in Prague, making sleep hard to come by.

It is a unique situation here in Prague because 18 of the about 80 American students in the program are from Georgetown. I didn't really know anyone else before I came, but it has been nice having things and friends in common with some of the other students. Overall, it has been such a weird feeling getting to meet new people and adjusted to a new city, much like the strange time of orientation during freshman year of college. This semester, I was chosen to write a column from abroad in the Hoya's The Guide (the largest newspaper on campus). My first column, which is set for press on Friday in Washington, talks about my thoughts on orientation in Prague as compared to at Georgetown two years ago.

After some well-deserved rest, I am probably going to dinner and out later night. Below is a picture of my apartment building. Will check in soon hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment