Friday, June 11, 2010

It's like I'm a Parisien.


You know something really strange has happened when you sit on the steps of Sacre-Coeur and realize that you're in Paris...and it all feels normal. I've only been here for 10 days, but I've already become used to the idea that I am living in FRANCE for the summer. How amazing is that?

Today started off as another dreary and grey day full of rain, but luckily it got better. It is nearly impossible to stay awake in classrooms that do not have air conditioning, ventilation, or interesting subjects. During our 15 minute break in the middle of my politics class, my Georgetown teacher asked me if I was okay. Luckily, it was only the heat and lack of new material (she taught us the same thing last semester) that was putting me to sleep. Thankfully, the coffee machine at the university only charges 40 centime (euro cents) for a cup of coffee. In our French language class today, our teacher taught us lots of slang and curse words. Although it might not seem like the most appropriate subject for class, it is important to immerse yourself in the local culture and language tradition to understand the people of Paris.

Last night, my host mother made ratatouille. Delicious. Period.


Tonight, some of us headed out to Montmartre to eat dinner, see the tourist sights, and climb to the tippy-top of the Church. Even though I am afraid of heights, it is a view that can simply not be missed. It was only 5 euros to enter the viewing tower at the top, but I wish the 300+ stairs each way up and down were as simple. I can't say it enough, but money goes so fast in Europe. Fortunately, I am able to travel to the Netherlands tomorrow without changing currency from the Euro!

I am headed to Amsterdam tomorrow, and hopefully I will be able to update my anxious readers from there! I can't wait to visit places like the Van Gogh museum and the Heineken headquarters. A special shout out to all my readers who are students in the Paris program as well. Hopefully, I have been telling the truth (without smack talking y'all to much)!

1 comment:

  1. hahaha merci pour le "shout-out" :)

    (told you I was reading your blog!)

    ReplyDelete